At Hotel Niwa Tokyo during your holidays? The Yes in Japan team recommends you to eat at one of these good nearby restaurants:
- Hanaya, to quietly savour fish and shells prepared in front of you by a Japanese chef.
- Ippo, for Japanese fish in a lively izakaya.
- Loving Hut, for the best vegan food around.
- Nago café, for Japanese noodles and meat like in Okinawa prefecture.
- Sapana Suidobashi-ten, for Indian/Nepalese food (vegetarian if desired).
For our latest recommendations near Hotel Niwa Tokyo and other hotels in Chiyoda ward, see our informative maps of Chiyoda ward :)
42m-high octagonal “Martial Arts Hall of Japan“, the Nippon-budokan was built in Kitanomaru Park to host the first Olympic judo competition during the 1964 Summer Games, promote Japanese martial arts especially among the young, foster health by training body & mind, and contribute to world peace! 14.471 spectators can watch exciting concerts, demonstrations, tournaments… Contact the Yes In Japan team to watch or participate to martial arts lessons in a dojo of the annexe :)
The Martial Arts Hall of Japan is in the Chiyoda ward of Tokyo near Kudanshita subway station, Hotel Grand Palace, the National Showa Memorial Museum, Tsukudo Shrine, and Yasukuni Shrine. See our calendar to enjoy a martial arts event there (several every month), often for free or a few thousand yens. In autumn 2014, you can go watch aikido, judo, karate, kendo… Be careful, the starting and ending time of the events vary.
If you visit Asia and are interested in Japanese culture or martial arts, attend a championship at the Martial Arts Hall of Japan and request a Yes in Japan personalized tour in Tokyo!
Emperor Meiji founded the Yasukuni Shinto Shrine in 1869 to enshrine the soul of soldiers and ordinary citizens dead for Japan. It currently enshrines 2.466.000 souls including girls and women involved in relief operations on battlefields, students working in factories during wars… As you may know from international news, visits of Yasukuni Shrine by Japanese politicians are a major source of tension between Japan, China and South Korea!
Yasukuni Shrine is in the Chiyoda ward of Tokyo near Kudanshita subway station, Hotel Grand Palace, Tsukudo Shrine, and the Martial Arts Hall of Japan. In the second half of November, you can usually enjoy its beautiful alley of trees with autumn yellow leaves! Open for free from 06:00, it may close at 17:00, 18:00 or 19:00…
- January, February: 06:00-17:00.
- March, April: 06:00-18:00.
- May, June, July, August: 06:00-19:00.
- September, October: 06:00-18:00.
- November, December: 06:00-17:00.
If you are interested in Asia or Japanese history, why not join the Yes in Japan tour “After the War: Fighters and Civilians“?
This summer, the Yes in Japan team gives 47% discount coupons to use at Mamekohboh coffee shops in Tokyo city! Your cup of hot coffee costs 100 yens instead of 190 yens in September 2014 (autumn coupons coming soon)… Mamekohboh stores are great to drink black coffee from many countries in Tokyo’s Chiyoda ward :)
Use our coupons at Mamekohboh shops east of Jimbocho station, west of Jimbocho station, west of Kanda station, or south of Suidobashi station.
To get Japanese coupons, visit or contact our travel agency in Tokyo (we are negotiating diverse ways to give free discounts). Enjoy your coffee in Japan!
The Yes in Japan team met tonight at Travel Stand Japan to draft its free brochure about Tokyo’s Chiyoda ward for autumn 2014. 25% bigger than in summer and more useful for tourism, its map should cover most of the north of Chiyoda ward: Yasukuni shrine west, Imperial garden south, Akihabara east, and Tokyo Dome city north. Highlighting the Book Town and Electric Town, it should indicate the location of subway/train stations: Akihabara, Awajicho, Iidabashi, Jimbocho, Kanda, Kudanshita, Ochanomizu, Ogawamachi, Shin-ochanomizu, Suidobashi and Takebashi.
This second map should inform about:
- More bars, coffee shops and restaurants (especially more diverse Japanese food). We are preparing English menus for some partners :)
- More souvenir/gift shops and specialist stores for shopping.
- Prices, discounts, offers, and possibility to pay by credit card.
- Activities, experiences and tours.
- Christian churches, Shinto shrines, museums, places for money exchange…
- Events such as festivals and martial arts tournaments in October, November and December 2014.
Download our online map of Chiyoda and tell us if a special place is missing… then use our latest version when you visit Japan :)
We distributed 20.000 Yes in Japan maps of Tokyo Jimbocho printed in English on A3 paper at hotels, shops, cultural centres, and special events in Tokyo this summer to help travellers, support local businesses, and promote tourism in Chiyoda ward (Jimbocho is its northern part). Many foreign tourists walked holding the map and the local community gave us much positive feedback! After seeing the digital version below, do you have suggestions or comments for an extended “Autumn 2014″ map of Tokyo Jimbocho? What information do you wish for your first/next visit there?
Our “Summer 2014″ map of Tokyo Jimbocho features hotels, subway/train station exits, Christian churches, Shinto shrines, post offices, and police stations. It also includes a calendar (flea market, martial arts tournaments…) and recommends:
- Activities & tours: Buddha Bellies Cooking School, Yes in Japan.
- Doctor: Natural care Suidobashi outpatient centre.
- Gift, souvenirs & specialists stores: Bumpodo, Ohya-shobo, Okuno-karuta, Sankei-shoten, Shobu-do-sangyo, Yamagataya-kamiten, Yamatoya-hakimono-ten.
- Nighttime: Jazz Olympus!, Ony’s bar.
- Restaurants: Hanaya, Ippo, Loving Hut, Muusa, Nago café, Otsumami-kaasan, Sapana Suidobashi-ten, Tempura Hachimaki.
Note: You can always download for free the latest Yes in Japan map of Jimbocho “Book Town”.
You can buy various tax-free products at Laox Akihabara Main Store near Akihabara train station in Tokyo’s Chiyoda ward:
- Floor 1 – Computers, digital audio, digital cameras, foreign films.
- Floor 2 – Electronics and home appliances for overseas.
- Floor 3 – Games, hobby, Hello Kitty goods.
- Floor 4 – Folk and traditional crafts, food, souvenirs, sports goods.
- Floor 5 – Jewellery, watches.
- Floor 6 – Cosmetics, medicine.
- Floor 7 – Outlet, premium fashion.
If you have questions, Laox staff can answer in Japanese, English, Chinese… A precious service in Japan!
Ask the Yes in Japan team for free discount coupons (5-8%) before shopping at Laox Akihabara Main Store! This will be your welcome gift :)
Since this morning, the Yes in Japan team distributes 5% discount coupons (8% for purchases above 10801 yens) to use at Japan’s tax-free store chain Laox. Laox is a good choice if you look for a duty-free store in Japan to buy a digital camera, diverse consumer electronics, Japanese souvenirs, cosmetics, jewellery…
Use our coupons in:
- Airports – Kansai international airport store, Okayama airport store.
- Hokkaido prefecture – Chitose outlet mall rera store (Chitose city), Sapporo store (Sapporo city).
- Kyushu island – Canal city hakata store (Fukuoka city), Nagasaki glover-dori store (Nagasaki city).
- Okinawa prefecture – Okinawa ashibinaa store (Tomigusuku city), Okinawa kokusai-dori store (Naha city).
- Osaka prefecture – Osaka dotonbori store (Osaka city near Kyoto city), Shanghai-XTD store (Osaka city), Hotel Agola Regency Sakai store (Sakai city).
- Tokyo – Akihabara main store (Chiyoda ward), Ginza main store (Chuo ward), Venusfort store (Koto ward, Odaiba area).
To get the coupons, visit our travel agency in Tokyo or e-mail us (we are considering various ways to provide free discounts). Enjoy your shopping in Japan!
Today’s exchange rate is:
- 1000 Yens ≃ 9.5 US Dollars ≃ 7.3 Euros
- 1 US Dollar ≃ 105 Yens
- 1 Euro ≃ 138 Yens
Nowadays, you can enjoy a high-quality activity or tour in Tokyo at a good price, from 24 and 38 US Dollars respectively (18 and 29 Euros). Children can get a discount, joining Yes in Japan tours for as little as 19 US Dollars (15 Euros)…
Activities in Tokyo from 2500 yens ≃ 24 US Dollars ≃ 18 Euros per adult.
e.g. Japanese tea time at Marebito teahouse
Walking tours in Tokyo from 4000 yens ≃ 38 US Dollars ≃ 29 Euros per adult.
e.g. Jimbocho shopkeepers x Japanese culture
We can even organize a personalized group tour in Tokyo for your family or friends for only 143 dollars. 3 friends would just pay 48 dollars each…
½ day personalized tours from 15000 yens ≃ 143 US Dollars ≃ 109 Euros per group.
e.g. Tour with Japanese garden, martial arts demonstration, shopping for ukiyo-e…
1-day personalized tours from 30000 yens ≃ 286 US Dollars ≃ 218 Euros per group.
e.g. Tour with origami exhibition, holy horse at a Shinto shrine, high-tech game centre…
Reserve before flying to Japan so we can plan a great personalized tour in Tokyo for you!
Since 01 September 2014, airplane passengers are allowed to use their mobile phone, computer, etc. (with airplane mode on) during take-off/landing in Japan. Enjoy your flight between your country and Japan!