At the Martial Arts Hall of Japan “Nippon-budokan”, you can enjoy major martial arts tournaments (national or international), martial arts demonstrations and even concerts (e.g. AKB48 performance)! This impressive building in the heart of Tokyo (Chiyoda ward) has 14.471 places and features many martial arts events with free entrance; it adds a great touch of Japanese culture to everybody’s life or holidays in Tokyo 🙂 Our French travel manager attended diverse martial arts competitions and demonstrations there: aikido, karate, kendo, kyudo, taekwondo…
Check our Japanese calendar to learn about the best events scheduled at the Nippon-budokan in the year 2014, 2015 or 2016 (weekends and public holidays included). Call 03-3216-5100 to learn more if you speak the Japanese language or kindly ask the staff of your hotel to do it for you. Near Kudanshita subway station and Hotel Grand Palace, the Martial Arts Hall of Japan “Nippon-budokan” is the spot “15” on our map of Tokyo Chiyoda designed for autumn 2014 and winter 2014-2015.
Travel tip: You can also meet or e-mail the Yes in Japan team to get advance tickets for concerts/tournaments, to attend martial arts lessons at a dojo of the annexe or to order a personalized tour linked to martial arts…
In Japan in February 2015? Enjoy Japanese events in the Chiyoda ward of Tokyo, especially:
- 03 February 2015: Setsubun Festival at Kanda shrine (celebrating Spring in Japan’s ancient calendar).
- 08 February 2015: Martial arts tournament at Nippon-Budokan (Kobudo, ancient martial arts).
- 11 February 2015: Festival for National Foundation Day (the foundation of Japan) at Yasukuni shrine.
- 21 February 2015: Martial art tournament at Nippon-Budokan (Tankendo, with an armour and short bamboo sword).
To discover the Japanese culture, join a Yes in Japan tour including or complementing an event! “Insight Into Art: Origami? Shinto?” is quite popular 🙂
In Tokyo in December 2014? Enjoy a Japanese event in Chiyoda or Bunkyo ward! We recommend:
- 06 December 2014: Antique/flea market at Yasukuni shrine.
- 07 December 2014: Martial arts tournament at Nippon-Budokan (Karate, practised with hands & feet).
- 20 December 2014: Antique/flea market at Yasukuni shrine.
- 23 December 2014: Shinto ceremony for the Emperor’s birthday at Yasukuni shrine.
- 26-31 December 2014: Ultraman superhero shows at Tokyo Dome City in Prism Hall with live fights, activities for children, etc.
- 28 December 2014: Shinto purification ceremony for the end of 2014 at Kanda shrine.
- 31 December 2014: Shinto purification ceremony for the end of 2014 at Kanda shrine and Yasukuni shrine.
Reserve a half-day personalized tour if you wish a Yes in Japan tour guide or conductor to accompany you before, during or after an event!
42m-high octagonal “Martial Arts Hall of Japan“, the Nippon-budokan was built in Kitanomaru Park to host the first Olympic judo competition during the 1964 Summer Games, promote Japanese martial arts especially among the young, foster health by training body & mind, and contribute to world peace! 14.471 spectators can watch exciting concerts, demonstrations, tournaments… Contact the Yes In Japan team to watch or participate to martial arts lessons in a dojo of the annexe 🙂
The Martial Arts Hall of Japan is in the Chiyoda ward of Tokyo near Kudanshita subway station, Hotel Grand Palace, the National Showa Memorial Museum, Tsukudo Shrine, and Yasukuni Shrine. See our calendar to enjoy a martial arts event there (several every month), often for free or a few thousand yens. In autumn 2014, you can go watch aikido, judo, karate, kendo… Be careful, the starting and ending time of the events vary.
If you visit Asia and are interested in Japanese culture or martial arts, attend a championship at the Martial Arts Hall of Japan and request a Yes in Japan personalized tour in Tokyo!
The Yes in Japan team met tonight at Travel Stand Japan to draft its free brochure about Tokyo’s Chiyoda ward for autumn 2014. 25% bigger than in summer and more useful for tourism, its map should cover most of the north of Chiyoda ward: Yasukuni shrine west, Imperial garden south, Akihabara east, and Tokyo Dome city north. Highlighting the Book Town and Electric Town, it should indicate the location of subway/train stations: Akihabara, Awajicho, Iidabashi, Jimbocho, Kanda, Kudanshita, Ochanomizu, Ogawamachi, Shin-ochanomizu, Suidobashi and Takebashi.
This second map should inform about:
- More bars, coffee shops and restaurants (especially more diverse Japanese food). We are preparing English menus for some partners 🙂
- More souvenir/gift shops and specialist stores for shopping.
- Prices, discounts, offers, and possibility to pay by credit card.
- Activities, experiences and tours.
- Christian churches, Shinto shrines, museums, places for money exchange…
- Events such as festivals and martial arts tournaments in October, November and December 2014.
Download our online map of Chiyoda and tell us if a special place is missing… then use our latest version when you visit Japan 🙂
We distributed 20.000 Yes in Japan maps of Tokyo Jimbocho printed in English on A3 paper at hotels, shops, cultural centres, and special events in Tokyo this summer to help travellers, support local businesses, and promote tourism in Chiyoda ward (Jimbocho is its northern part). Many foreign tourists walked holding the map and the local community gave us much positive feedback! After seeing the digital version below, do you have suggestions or comments for an extended “Autumn 2014” map of Tokyo Jimbocho? What information do you wish for your first/next visit there?
Our “Summer 2014” map of Tokyo Jimbocho features hotels, subway/train station exits, Christian churches, Shinto shrines, post offices, and police stations. It also includes a calendar (flea market, martial arts tournaments…) and recommends:
- Activities & tours: Buddha Bellies Cooking School, Yes in Japan.
- Doctor: Natural care Suidobashi outpatient centre.
- Gift, souvenirs & specialists stores: Bumpodo, Ohya-shobo, Okuno-karuta, Sankei-shoten, Shobu-do-sangyo, Yamagataya-kamiten, Yamatoya-hakimono-ten.
- Nighttime: Jazz Olympus!, Ony’s bar.
- Restaurants: Hanaya, Ippo, Loving Hut, Muusa, Nago café, Otsumami-kaasan, Sapana Suidobashi-ten, Tempura Hachimaki.
Note: You can always download for free the latest Yes in Japan map of Jimbocho “Book Town”.
We watched impressive Japanese archery “kyudo” during the 44th All Kanto Student Kyudo Championships in Chiyoda ward on Saturday 21 June 2014.
Japanese girls and boys coming from various universities competed with tall bows, shooting arrows with gloves and wearing kyudo traditional clothes, which includes a chest protector for female archers to protect their breasts from the bowstring. We could clearly see everything: the long rows of Japanese archers, individual movements of the participants and of their bows, the trajectory of the arrows, and the arrows in/near the targets. Around us, fellow students, friends and family members noisily encouraged their favourite archers!
We strongly recommend you to attend this event in Tokyo at the end of Spring or beginning of Summer 2015 or 2016 if you are interested in Japan, the Japanese culture or martial arts! Contact us if you wish to watch, learn about, or practice Japanese archery; we could organize something just for you 🙂
- All Kanto Student Kyudo Championships = 全関東学生弓道選手権大会 (Zen-kanto-gakusei-kyudo-senshuken-taikai).
- Kyudo = 弓道, Nippon-budokan = 日本武道館.
- Chiyoda ward = 千代田区 (Chiyoda-ku), Tokyo = 東京.
Fans of Japanese martial arts, go see an impressive tournament/championship of judo, jukendo, karate, kendo or kyudo in June 2014 at the Nippon-budokan (Chiyoda ward, Tokyo). End Spring or begin Summer in Japan with the pleasure to see skilled Japanese boys and girls, men and women live their passion!
Notes: Judo and karate are practised without weapon, jukendo with an armour and a rifle replica, kendo with an armour and bamboo sword, kyudo with a bow and arrows.
If you wish to walk from your hotel to the Nippon-budokan, consider booking at Hotel Grand Palace. If you prefer a different style of hotel, you can walk a bit longer or ride a subway from Hotel Niwa Tokyo (Suidobashi station), Ochanomizu Hotel Shoryukan (Jimbocho station) or Tokyo Dome Hotel (Suidobashi station).
To also admire real Japanese swords, go shopping for equipment or learn about the Japanese culture, history, samurai, ninja… we recommend you to reserve a 1-day personalized tour in Tokyo or Kamakura during your trip in Japan!
- Nippon-budokan = 日本武道館, Chiyoda ward = 千代田区 (Chiyoda-ku), Tokyo = 東京.
If the Japanese Way of the Warrior attracts you, attend the surprising 36th All Japan Elders Martial Arts Tournament on Monday 09 June 2014 at Nippon-budokan (Chiyoda ward, Tokyo)… Athletic Japanese elders (men and women) will compete with armours and bamboo swords using kendo techniques (Way of The Sword) or wooden replicas of rifles using jukendo techniques (Japanese martial art of bayonet fighting) in front of the general public! You can enter for free from 08:00 to watch everything from 09:00 to 14:30…
Enjoy real Japanese holidays by watching kendo and jukendo fights this Spring! If you wish to stay at a hotel close to the Nippon-budokan, consider booking at Hotel Grand Palace. To also learn about real samurai weapons and culture, we recommend you to reserve our 1-day tour “Insight Into Japanese Arts In Tokyo” or to request a personalized Yes in Japan tour 🙂 Note that we can also help you buy kendo equipment in Tokyo…
Live a unique experience when you travel to Japan!
- All Japan Elders Martial Arts Tournament = All Japan Koreisha Budo Taikai = 全日本高齢者武道大会 (Zen-nippon-koreisha-budo-taikai).
- Kendo = 剣道, Jukendo = 銃剣道, Nippon-budokan = 日本武道館.
- Chiyoda ward = 千代田区 (Chiyoda-ku), Tokyo = 東京.
If you enjoy kendo or wish to discover the Japanese “Way of the Sword”, go watch the great 56th Kanto Corporations and Companies Kendo Tournament on Sunday 08 June 2014 at Nippon-budokan (Chiyoda ward, Tokyo)… Japanese corporations and companies will send their best kendo practitioners to compete as teams (men and women) with armours and bamboo swords in front of the general public! You can enter for free from 08:00 to watch everything from 09:00 to 17:00…
Give a special touch to your Spring trip in Japan by watching kendo fights that weekend 🙂 For a convenient hotel near the Nippon-budokan, check Hotel Grand Palace. To also admire real samurai swords or go shopping for kendo equipment, why not join our Insight Into Japanese Arts In Tokyo 1-day tour? Enjoy your travel in Japan, enjoy the Japanese culture and traditions!
- Kanto Corporations and Companies Kendo Tournament = 関東実業団剣道大会 (Kanto-jitsugyodan-kendo-taikai).
- Kendo = 剣道 (Kendo), Nippon-budokan = 日本武道館.
- Chiyoda ward = 千代田区 (Chiyoda-ku), Tokyo = 東京, Kanto = 関東.